9 great benefits of Smart farming
Why smart farming is so important?
If someone doesn’t understand how important agriculture is, just imagine what will happen if we couldn’t produce the amount of food we need. Even nowadays some of the countries couldn’t produce enough food according to their population. Therefore so many people in those countries have to die in hunger. In another hand, some people in rich countries couldn’t even finish their meal. Have you ever wonder about the reason behind this?
Some of you may think the lack of money and the poor economy is the reason behind this. Yes, that’s not wrong, but there is another major reason behind this. That is technology and management. Most of these counties don’t have enough technology to increase food production according to population growth. Therefore the population grows rapidly, but they could produce the food only for a part of the population. That’s why agriculture is so important.
It helps to increase the necessary technology for the farmers according to the time. So farmers will be able to speed up their production rate and feed up a whole country. To keep up this task, agriculture needs some help from advanced technologies. That’s how the internet of things comes to the scene, with smart farming.
I have already discussed that “what is smart farming?”,” benefits of smart farming” and “future of agriculture with smart farming”. If you haven’t read it yet, I suggest you read it to get a good idea about smart farming. The link is right here.
So today I’m gonna talk about the benefits of smart farming in detail.
What are the benefits of smart farming?
(1) Data collection with smart agriculture sensors.
(2) Better control over the internal processes.
(3) Waste reduction
With smart farming, farmers can identify the exact demand of products and deliver those exact amount of products according to the demand on time. Therefore farmers will be able to reduce the waste of products because of the low demand through smart farming. Furthermore, it helps to minimize the damages doing by pests.
(4) Precision farming
Using the collected data from smart sensors about the soil, weather, and plants, farmers can make sure that soil and crops get exactly what they want for optimum productivity.
This feature helps to monitor data like production levels, soil moisture, condition of the crops, and PH value in multiple fields in different locations all over the world through the internet.
(6) Effective cost management
(7) Increased business efficiency
(8) High product quality and good volumes
(9) Increase the production
All the things mentioned above like waste reduction and precision farming affect to increase the production rate directly and indirectly.
If you ever wonder smart farming is really valuable as much as it cost? The statistics show below will help you to understand.
- The global market size of smart farming is 9.5 billion U.S. dollars by 2017. It is expected to grow up to 23.1 billion U.S. dollars in the next 5 years. It is 143% increment.
- The global forecasted market value of precision is expected to grow from 5.09 million U.S. dollars in 2018 to about 9.53 billion U.S. dollars by 2023.
- The global market for indoor farming was estimated to grow by a CAGR of 19.4 percent between 2017 and 2022.
- It is expected to reach the global agricultural IoT market by about 30 billion U.S. dollars from 2018 to 2023.
- The market for precision fertilizer is estimated to be worth around 1.24 billion U.S. dollars by 2025.
- The market value of monitoring and management amounted to about 2.52 billion U.S. dollars in 2017 and is projected to grow to about 4.84 billion U.S. dollars by 2021.
- 36% of farmers in the United States in 2016 stated that they used their smartphone for visiting agricultural websites.
- 20% of the food suppliers in selected countries as of 2016 stated that IoT could help them in dealing with cyclical problems, such as swarms, floods, etc.
As a summary, smart farming is a process of increasing productivity and the quality of agriculture products with smart sensors and internet of things. And nowadays it has become a great advantage for the agriculture field. Farmers can get an excellent profit and customers can enjoy fresh and quality products.